User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: Meteors in David Braben's Lander.

Meteors in David Braben's Lander.
  RoryM (12:05 13/11/2013)
  sa_scott (14:05 13/11/2013)
    RoryM (15:47 13/11/2013)
    RoryM (16:57 20/11/2013)
      RoryM (22:14 20/11/2013)

RoryM Message #122777, posted by RoryM at 12:05, 13/11/2013
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has seen the large meteors that David Braben has mentioned in interview when asked about Lander's gameplay?

Having played the game numerous times I haven't seen so much as a single meteor. Admittedly, each of my attempts only lasts for as long as my fuel does - I haven't managed to land smoothly enough to refuel as yet - but still, you would think I'd have seen at least the odd one here or there by now.

Does anyone know if the meteors only start appearing after prolonged play? I think my longest time airborne has been about 20 minutes.

Any recollections from more experienced pilots would be much appreciated. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stephen Scott Message #122778, posted by sa_scott at 14:05, 13/11/2013, in reply to message #122777
Ah, Lander - what memories smile

To get the bouncing meteors, you have to get above a certain number of points. Between 1000 and 1500 points, but certainly a four figure score.

Just shoot stuff to get points.

Enjoy! smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

RoryM Message #122779, posted by RoryM at 15:47, 13/11/2013, in reply to message #122778
Thanks for the pointers, Stephen.

I wrongly assumed that meteor showers might appear after a set amount of play so I'd been focusing on conserving fuel and keeping my ship in the air for as long as possible.

If only I'd wreaked wanton havoc, which is what I actually felt like doing, I would have seen the bouncing meteors long before now!

Thanks again for the tips. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

RoryM Message #122808, posted by RoryM at 16:57, 20/11/2013, in reply to message #122778
Ah, Lander - what memories smile

To get the bouncing meteors, you have to get above a certain number of points. Between 1000 and 1500 points, but certainly a four figure score.

Just shoot stuff to get points.

Enjoy! smile
I've finally managed to find some time to put this advice into practice. But there's one slight problem: my score stays stubbornly at 500 no matter what I shoot.

I've gleefully blown up trees, houses, things that look like rockets, mystery objects and even the water you periodically fly over but all to no avail. My score won't shift from 500.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any advice would be very gratefully received.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

RoryM Message #122814, posted by RoryM at 22:14, 20/11/2013, in reply to message #122808
Right, I've found the full instructions for Lander in the Archimedes Welcome Guide and the score isn't meant to stick at 500 and the meteors are meant to start falling at 800.

Does anyone know where I can find a working ADF of Lander? I'm pretty sure the one I have isn't working.

Lander Instructions below for those who are interested:

The object of the game is to fly the shuttle over the landscape, gaining points by destroying any items that appear.

The game is played as follows:

— Launch the shuttle off the pad by clicking select.

— Manoeuvre the shuttle by turning the mouse slightly to the left or right, towards you or away from you.

— Keep the shuttle moving by turning the mouse to tilt it and clicking select to emit a jet stream which sends it travelling over the landscape.

— Make the shuttle hover by clicking menu.

— Destroy objects by shooting at them with bullets fired from the shuttle. Trigger the bullets by clicking adjust.

— Refuel the shuttle by finding your way back to the launching pad and landing for refuelling. The fuel gauge is the red line at the top of the screen.

You begin the game with 500 points, and gain 20 points for every object you destroy.

You lose one point for every bullet fired that does not strike a target.

You are allowed three chances to fly the shuttle. If you crash, you are returned to the launching pad. The game ends after the third crash.

When you reach 800 points, rocks begin to fall. You must dodge them as you continue to fly the shuttle.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Games: Meteors in David Braben's Lander.