Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Where did it all go wrong?

Where did it all go wrong?
  adrianl (02:33 1/5/2014)
  Stoppers (09:27 1/5/2014)
  thegman (02:44 5/5/2014)
  adrianl (01:31 20/6/2014)

Adrian Lees Message #123229, posted by adrianl at 02:33, 1/5/2014
Emails - now defunct for most people, I guess - are now almost invariably from companies trying to pitch their wares, yet we still check them in the hope of some communication from friends. Personally I, and people I know, refuse to answer a landline for precisely the same reason.

Q: Is there a way to build a communications network that benefits its members? Does it require subscription to keep it alive, or is there another way?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #123230, posted by Stoppers at 09:27, 1/5/2014, in reply to message #123229
Emails - now defunct for most people, I guess - are now almost invariably from companies trying to pitch their wares, yet we still check them in the hope of some communication from friends. Personally I, and people I know, refuse to answer a landline for precisely the same reason.
I still use email (and the phone). They still work, and a few filters in my email reader highlight the messages from people I want to hear from. My email provider's spam filter works well, as well. Caller ID works well for landlines.
Q: Is there a way to build a communications network that benefits its members? Does it require subscription to keep it alive, or is there another way?
I'm not about to start giving my every thought to a commercial company like Facebook. Even WhatsApp, which was a good, paid for system has disappeared into their gravitational well.

Maybe a spam-/group- aware email protocol could work, so anyone can set up a server, which will only be allowed to pass on messages from addresses the receiver is willing to accept...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Garry Taylor Message #123236, posted by thegman at 02:44, 5/5/2014, in reply to message #123229

Certainly not defunct for me. I could do my communications via FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, or whatever, or I can have it all in one place, my email. I generally don't answer my mobile phone at all, unless it's a known number, and I want to speak to that person.

Email can be improved upon, no question about it, but try getting people to use it. You could charge subscription, or you can do ads. Ads will likely not make you any money, and people won't pay a subscription, generally speaking.

If you can convince people that FB messaging is an acceptable alternative to email, then all hope is lost.

Best of luck in your efforts though.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #123260, posted by adrianl at 01:31, 20/6/2014, in reply to message #123229
Machines fail, too often. There are people employed in supermarkets to keep the 'self-service' tills running. ATMs fail because they contain hardware they don't even need; they lack minimalism, and are built for short-term economy. I'm sick of it...I love technology, but it is so abused.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Where did it all go wrong?